Thursday, February 2, 2017

DESIGN | ART INSPIRED ROOMS - Rustique Figuline Kitchen

One of the greatest things about living in a city like New York is access to some of the finest museums in the world. I try to go as frequently as possible, often I just duck in with Mads in tow for a few minutes here and there (thank god for memberships). I have a design-nerd game I like to play with myself, where I try to visualize a room based around a work of art. It is a little exercise in fantasy decorating, taking the colors and mood of a piece and creating a livable space around that.

Until now I've never planned it out further than my head, but I thought it could be fun to post them on the blog.

My first 'Art Inspired Room' is a kitchen based off this remarkable 16th century French pottery platter from the collection at the Metropolitan Museum of Art.  

Rustique Figuline (Rustic Pottery) Lead-glazed earthenware, Follower of Bernard Palissy (1510-1590), France (Paris), late 16th Century

Something about this piece got me thinking about a kitchen design. Snakes might be a little off-putting to some, but every room can use a bit of quirk, I think, even a kitchen. The color scheme is moody and subdued with glossy blue-green cabinets, rich wood and stone, lush greens and an accent of mustard yellow. I'm completely in love with this "Seba Snake" fabric designed by Adam Charlap Hyman. Check out his website and you can see it used in his NYC apartment. To die for!



tile / butcher block / countertops / stool / leather / chandelier / paint / fabric / prints

xo, Kate   


No comments:

Post a Comment